Monday, February 17, 2014

"Makes Me Want to Sing"

http://www.smartspeechtherapy.com/guest-post-makes-me-want-to-sing-improving-your-childs-speech-and-language-skills-through-music/

I found this article to be extremely interesting and very beneficial to my 20% project. This blog post from Smart Speech Therapy LLC describes the correlation between children and singing. It discusses the positive benefits of verbal practice on speech therapy from when a child sings. The act of imitation and repetition helps children to develop their speech skills. Through trial and error, therapists have become able to adjust their methods to help each child individual with their speech through music.

The author gives many tips on how to ensure success through music in speech therapy. Singing whatever your child can already say helps them to learn pronunciation and letter sounds. Singing about what the child loves and repeating it can also help them to increase their speech skills. When they are interested in the topic, they learn the best. By repeating the song, the child is more likely to participate in singing along and learning. They also love singing songs in repetition like "your turn, my turn" so they learn phrases and lines. They are directly imitating what is being said, and in return becoming better speakers.

I found this post to be very helpful to my 20% project. It truly takes my topic and gives direct ways of how singing benefits children. I would like to further this exploration by looking at how it affects adults in need of speech pathology.


3 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job of finding this article and discussing the points from the article in your blog post. The article had some great information and the fact that it was written by a speech pathologist makes it even more credible. Even though I do not know much at all about speech pathology, I was able to understand and learn the information well through your post.

    I would be interested to see your next step of looking at how music affects adults in need of speech pathology. I would especially be interested in what types of music work in terms of effective therapy for adults. I think focusing on this for your next blog post would be an interesting topic.

    I think finding blogs written by speech pathologists would be a good place to look. I also think sites that are used to share information from speech pathologists would be good to look at as well. I know there has to be sites like this where the speech pathologists would want to share their successes with music therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. This post is very well written and does an awesome job of summarizing the article as well. This seemed like a great connection to your driving question. I also liked how you focused this post on effects of music therapy on children and then closed the post with a comment about how you would like to view effects on adults next.

    2. I think that focusing your next blog posts on adults who be really interesting. I would also like to see the benefits of specific types of music and maybe the differences between how music therapy benefits children versus adults.

    3. I think that searching for articles written by SLPs who use music therapy would be very useful. Also, try YouTube - there are probably a bunch of videos showing actual music therapy being done with both children and adults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) I love how you related your article so perfectly to your driving question. I really like how you were able to efficiently summarize everything - even for an audience who might not be SLP experts.

    2) Just like you said, I think the next thing to do is find examples of adults being served through music and speech therapy. An article about that would be perfect for your next blog post.

    3) I think you should find other SLP- written blogs and blog posts especially because they will be the ones who know the most about how singing affects music therapy. You can maybe even look up the hashtag #slpeeps on twitter because a lot of speech therapists use that tag to communicate with each other.

    ReplyDelete