Monday, February 17, 2014

What impacts does singing have on speech therapy?


I was blessed with a passion for music since the day I was born. My dad introduced me to his favorite bands and would play them on repeat while I was strapped into my car seat as a child. Now, I have developed my own love for music. I started singing when I was 11 in my middle school choir. My love for singing grew as I entered high school and fell head over heels in love with the beauty of song. I have stopped singing since I arrived at the University of Georgia, but my obsession with music has never ended.

When I was deciding what major to pursue in college, I originally put Social Studies Education. During my senior year, I interned at my middle school with my favorite teacher. I quickly realized that middle school education was not for me. Working as an unpaid intern for 3 hours a day (when the requirement was only 5 per week), I was exhausted and turned off. My mom is an occupational therapist and advised me to look at speech therapy, or more formally, Communication Sciences and Disorders. She knows about my love for music and told me that I could really incorporate my love for music into my major. 

As a freshman, I have not yet been able to fully see what my major has to offer. Through the 20% project, I will be able to see how I can truly incorporate my passion for singing into my future job hopes. Many doctors have seen a correlation between simple melodies and songs with communication and speech. This is mainly seen in stroke patients. This is known as melodic intonation therapy.

I am excited to learn more about this topic and explore how singing and music impact speech pathology.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zoe, It is a great topic and I am excited to what you learn and what you will develop for others to learn from you. One thing I am not sure about is your driving question. Can you specify your driving question? You may form it as how does singing influence a person's speech ability, or some sort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind, I see that you have a great driving question posted as the title of your post. It is a really good driving question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your topic! I myself have a very similar passion for music, so this topic will be interesting for me to see a new way to use music to help others! I really like how you brought in your own personal story with why you chose this topic. It shows me that you really care and grabs the reader's attention.

    I would really like to see how different types of music have different effects on patients who use this type of therapy. I think it would be interesting to look at how patients react to pop music vs. country music vs. classical music. I would also like to learn about the different techniques therapists use to incorporate music into their therapy.

    I think one place to start would be to look at articles that discuss new ways or new technologies that involve music in speech therapy. It would be interesting to find out the newest ways to use music in a situation like that. I would also look at accounts from actual speech pathologists to see if they have used music as a part of their therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I think your topic is really interesting and I like how it is something that has a lot of personal value for you. You described your topic very well and made me interested to learn more about it too!

    2. While researching this topic, I think it would be interesting if you covered some background on how speech therapy through song was first discovered. It would also be cool to see results on people's speech before and after music therapy or comparisons between people with speech problems who use this type of therapy versus those who don't.

    3. I found this webpage that has lists of songs for children that help with different types of speech disorders: http://www.songsforteaching.com/speechtherapy/
    Maybe you could look into articles or blogs written by speech pathologists that describe what types of music or specific songs they use to help children with speech disorders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Hey Zoe! I was a singer for years as well, so I love your passion for singing and how you're using this project to learn how to combine it with your future career. I hope to do very similar things. You obviously know exactly what you are looking for and that will hopefully make the project smoother. This post has made me very interested to see what you will uncover later on.

    2) I'd really like to see some examples of teachers and therapists who have used music and how that affected their students. I'd also like to know if music and singing only works with certain speech-language disorders or all of them. That would be an interesting new aspect to look into.

    3) I really like you should look into melodic intonation therapy. Apparently it's a form of speech therapy that involves music. It looks like the therapists get patients to sing their words instead of speaking them and then gradually remove the musical qualities of the speech until the patient can speak regularly. That's what I got from some basic research but I think a more thorough search would be really helpful for your blog.

    ReplyDelete